Sunday, June 7, 2015

Home

We arrived home last Friday, May 29th. A week earlier than planned. Flying
to Montana from Israel is exhausting!


It took almost 24 hours to fly from one side of the Earth to the other side!! I still
have jet-lag and we have been home for 9 days.

I am so thankful that I was able to go to Israel to have my HSCT. What a
blessing. I am especially thankful for my friend Marilyn. She came with me
to Israel to take care of me and she was amazing!!

My husband has supported me through all of this. Mike spent hours reading about
and researching the procedure before we even decided that I should do it. When I
got home, he had the house clean and had even replaced the carpet in our bedroom
so it would all be clean.
He had even organized our closet, which was a huge job!
Mike's other major job while I was in Israel was taking care of my parents.
My Dad is 93 and lives next door and my mom is in a nursing home with
dementia. He did all of this and still went to work everyday.

Being home is so nice! I think that sleeping in my own bed is the best feeling
ever! I have been walking around the block everyday. I went two times a couple
of days ago. I'm trying to get my strength back. I'll start increasing the distance
as I get stronger. The muscles in my right leg are much smaller than the left
because of my foot drop. My foot drop is not totally gone, but is better
after my HSCT. I'm still very slow and am concentrating on each step and
how my foot connects to the ground. I have not been using my cane since I
got home.

Up until a couple of years ago when my foot drop got so bad that I had a really
hard time walking, my favorite thing to do was hiking. We live in a place that has
more hiking trails than you can count! My goal for this Summer is to hike to the M.


This is a hike that I have done so many times I couldn't count them. There is a hard
trail that leads straight up and an easier trail that goes to the left through the trees. 
I will be trying the easy trail! I'll post an update when this happens. Mike got my
mountain bike down yesterday and I might try to ride today. I need all the
exercise that I can get.

It has taken this whole week to get over the jet-lag. My dad says that it takes one
day for every hour of the time difference. He has traveled all over the world, so
he does have experience. Not to mention that he is very wise being 93 years old!

Since I am a total germaphobe now, I'll be staying home unless I have to go get
blood drawn or go to the doctor. I did ride with Mike to the grocery store last
night, just to get out of the house, but I stayed in the car. It is not worth getting 
sick with my non-existent immune system. Mike is going to do all the grocery
shopping and errands now. At least he will only buy what is on the list, which
is hard for me to do. Mike shopping will probably save us a small fortune. 

I'll still be blogging about my progress and welcome any questions from others
that are considering having HSCT. 






No comments:

Post a Comment