Thursday, April 30, 2015

The first couple of days

My first experience in the CTCI Clinic was interesting and good. I met the staff and
then had my first appointment with Professor Slavin. The staff is great! Very friendly
and welcoming. Prof. Slavin is very warm and a kind man.
The clinic is small. From what I can tell, Prof. Slavin's office, three treatment rooms,
one being the head nurse's office also, Ruth's office and waiting/reception room. I am
sure that I will learn much more about the clinic as the next few weeks go by and I will
add to the blog.

Prof. Slavin asked me lots of questions about the history of my MS. Such as exacerbation's
and the dates. It would be a good idea to have had these all written out to bring to the
appointment. These facts are in in my head though!
He did a through examination, checked all my lymph nodes and neurological functions. 
The tests were very similar to what a neurologist does in the US. Prof. Slavin then got
out his camera and took a video of me doing some of the tests again and had me walk down
the hall and back to him. 

I was given two choices in treatment. MSC and HSCT. I, of coarse chose HSCT! That is why
we are here! He would like me to have MSC after the HSCT, but it is much more expensive. 

Today is Wednesday and I saw Dr. Nadir today, before I went with the nurse to a hospital
to have my Picc Line put in. He was all business and no smile. He examined me and listened
to my heart and lungs. I could tell by a couple of the questions he asked that he had gone
over my records very thoroughly. I am happy that I brought hard copies of my scans, 
both MRI's and CT scans, so Dr. Nadir could look at the real scans for himself and not just
read the report from the radiologist that read them back home.
The Picc line is put in to your arm here. SEE PICC LINE PICTURE 
I believe it is the only picc line that I will get.
It was placed by making a small incision in my arm above the bend in my elbow. Then the line
is inserted using live video/x-ray on a very high tech piece of machinery. This is a huge, 
very modern x-ray machine that I am sure is used in the US for many procedures. One thing
that I did notice is that the Israeli hospitals don't have as much waste as in the US. They
used sterile drapes, but they were cloth that could be washed, they don't use alcohol wipes,
just alcohol in a bottle with cotton balls. All of the dressings for my pic line were the
same as the US though. In sterile wraps. The doctor and his assistants were very careful
about infection control, which I was very happy with. I don't feel that there is anything
to worry about here!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen- Update? How are you doing? Was getting the treatment worth it? My wife is considering it (from Dr Slavin). Keir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keir,
    Yes, it was very worth it!! I am working on an update for the blog now and should have it done in a couple of days. Prof. Slavin is an amazing doctor. I just wish that I would have found out about HSCT sooner! Let me know if you have any other questions and I will answer them in the update. Kris

    ReplyDelete